Saturday, August 26, 2006

 

Friday Five--A Day Late

I'm a procrastinator by nature. Lord have mercy upon me. I am a day late, but decided to play the RevGal Friday five anyway.

1. What is your earliest memory of school?
My earliest memory of school is being drawn to the bookshelf. All those wonderful toys Mrs. Krukmeyer had in her room, and I chose to read books.

2. Who was a favorite teacher in your early education?
I loved all my teachers. Mrs. Krukmeyer, my kindergarten teacher, encouraged my reading. Mrs. Dolan encouraged my creativity. Mrs. Short was kind and gentle. Mrs. Eaton was another one to really encourage my reading. And Mrs. Vitez remains someone I see from time to time. She even came to visit my first parish!

3. What do you remember about school “back then” that is different from what you know about schools now?
I think my son had earlier reading requirements than we did. Although I was already a reader by kindergarten, others did not have to be able to read as much as Thomas was required to read by the end of kindergarten. I also think they started math earlier. Now that I think of it, they also had full-day kindergarten, whereas we only had a partial day.

4. Did you have to memorize in school? If so, share a poem or song you learned.
"We hold these thruths to be self-evident. That all men are created equal. That they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. That among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." I know that's not the whole thing, but that's the part I had to memorize for a play. Turns out those words help to form my love for our country.

5. Did you ever get in trouble at school? Were there any embarrassing moments you can share?
Of course! I got in trouble tons.

Once we were passing around a Pringles can with an object in it. We were only supposed to feel it and guess what it was. I pulled it out, and exclaimed triumphantly, "It's an orange!" I ruined the whole lesson.

Mostly, I got in trouble for yakking. No shock there. My son has the same issue.

Comments:
And Sara it is okay to be late here, but were you in trouble for being late with your assignments? LOL
 
Ummmm...sometimes. How did you know? LOL
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?