Friday, September 15, 2006

 

Rev. Gals' Friday Five: Brushes with Greatness

Here is my response to the RevGalBlogPals Friday Five, for which I am grateful when I can't focus on what I need to write about.

David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called "Brushes with Greatness." Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so...

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.

When I attended Ashland University, I was an Ashbrook Scholar, which meant that I've met many politicians, policy makers, and other famous people who run in conservative circles--from Dan Quayle to Pat Sajak.

Having said that, I have met at least two people before they were famous.

I was a Girl Scout with Stefanie Eulinberg, and attended junior and senior high school with her--she graduated with my sister two years ahead of me. Stefanie is the drummer for Kid Rock. Interestingly, she did not play percussion in our high school marching band--she played trumpet. She was (and is) an awesome musician, and a very funny person. Everybody loved her.

I also went to junior and senior high school with Rebecca Pitcher, who currently plays Christine in "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. I didn't know her very well, but knew she came from a very musical family.

Oh, also--Jim Tressel grew up in my hometown. His brother taught at my high school. And, I have a dresser from his house that my mom bought at a garage sale.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.

Stephen Colbert. The President. Bono.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.

David Wallace is not famous--yet. He was my husband's college roomate, and one of the deepest Christians I know. He is a professional viola player. His Julliard dissertation was about Texas Fiddle Music. He has a band called "The Doc Wallace Trio." Here is a link to some of his music.

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?

In my possession, I have my son's autograph book from Disney World. We got most of the characters' autographs.

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?

My wit and charm.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago? Kato Kalin

Comments:
Who is kato Kalin?
 
My point exactly! He was the guy who lived in O.J. Simpson's guest house. One of the many celebrities created in a very sad spousal abuse murder case.
 
Sara, thank you for your comment at my blog (The Psaltery). I replied there about a "brush with greatness" with Dr. Elizabeth Achtemeier, whom you mentioned in my thread about women in ministry. Thanks for reminding me what a blessing her preaching was for me many years ago.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?